Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Pok Plants

 



    Starting of this year one of my main goals was to come out of this master with built works. For this reason I decided to revisit a design i had created in 2009 where I was merging street art with Landscape Arch. Although I wasn't going to be able to build a work of this size. I began working on smaller models, using the same concept.
I have created a simpler watering system for this model then above, whilst achieving a similar effect. Rainwater is caught on the roof or the rectangle and on the corrugated plastic. This water is then directed towards the back of the soil profile. Holes where then drilled into the corrugated plastic to allow some water to come through at the top.




 A zig zag system is also put in place, except this time I have used polystyrene strips to direct and catch water inside the soil profile.  Smaller polystyrene pieces are then place in between to reduce the amount of soil used,  responding to heavy weight of the garden.

Fly wire then wire mesh is placed over the front of the box, then held in place by the surrounding frame.
I used nylon rope for some of the detailing of this garden, as it was colourful, and would last for a long time.



Although this is finished, i am going to let the plants settle for a week, before installing them on a wall.

Looking at the same work about three week's later I was surprised to see how well the cactus and succulents have established already. Not only have they looking happier, they have already began the process of phototropism, which is when a plant corrects its position in accordance to the sunlight.





I have finally got around to putting one of the Pok Planters into the street. What I have learned from this is that I need to make the Hanging gardens much lighter.


Learning from the two planters I had made earlier I have set about making a third. This one is slightly larger, but is half the weight. I have achieved this by firstly making it half as deep and secondly, putting more broken polystyrene to soil ratio. 






No comments:

Post a Comment